Tokenworks Inc. was formed in 1998 as a Delaware corporation. The Company’s shares are privately held.
The founders of Tokenworks have been involved in the Smart Card market since 1992 and have participated in a number of industry events and associations such as the Smart Card Forum, Smart Card Industry Association, Smart Card Alliance, CardTech/SecureTech and National Association of Campus Card Users.
In all of our efforts, the following principles are paramount:
- Design in durability, quality, and value.
- Deliver value to our customers and shareholders.
- Do it once. Do it right.
- Keep it simple.
The name Tokenworks derives from our experiences in token based systems. Token based systems use a smart card, magnetic card, bar code or contactless card to authenticate an individual for payment or access to a product/service. The systems have much in common, but differ in the card technology. Therefore the term token is pertinent to all systems. The term works conveys an image of a foundry or factory where products are brought to life. Therefore Tokenworks attempts to convey that we are involved in the creation of Token based systems.
To·ken – (tkn)
- Something serving as an indication, proof, or expression of something else.
- A distinguishing feature or characteristic.
- Something that signifies or evidences authority, validity, or identity: The scepter is a token of regal status.
- A piece of stamped metal used as a substitute for currency: subway tokens.
Works – (wûrks)
- (used with a sing. or pl. verb) A factory, plant, or similar building or complex of buildings where a specific type of business or industry is carried on. Often used in combination: a steelworks.
- Internal mechanism: the works of a watch.
The output of a writer, artist, or musician considered or collected as a whole: the works of Shakespeare.
- Engineering structures, such as bridges or dams.